February 20, 2010

Folklore in the News



  • Pictured above is Dr. George Lewis, Texas folklorist and English professor who recently passed away. Fitting tribute from one of his students.
  • Fr Pavel Stefanov of Shoumen University in Bulgaria reviews the book Ariadne's Thread.
  • A long, interesting and ancient (already in it's tenth year!) thread on the song Lakes of Ponchartrain. Also from Mudcat, a discussion the song Down in the Willow Garden.
  • Mental Floss has a brief gloss on the practice of bloodstopping through bible verse.
  • I can not overstate how much of an influence Chuck Perdue was on my work and my graduate school life, I am saddened to hear of his passing. I am proud to have his signature on my dissertation. Look for a more full posting about his influence on my approach to folklore (I stole the title of this blog from him)!
  • Speaking of Chuck's legacy, check out the Virginia Archive of Traditional Culture, named after Chuck and Nan Perdue's sons: Kevin and Kelly.
  • The American Folklore Society annual meeting is in Nashville this year in October, here's an invite.
  • Report on the project Folktales and Facets by Kathryn La Barre & Carol Tilley at the University of Illinois.

No comments:

Post a Comment