January 19, 2012

Shamanism and Folklore

The local alt-weekly recently published an article about contemporary uses of shamanism around Charlottesville in which they portrayed three local practitioners - one of whom is my friend, former boss and fellow Slavic folklorist Rachel Mann. I had the privilege of being Rachel's teaching assistant for a class on Story and Healing, which included a substantial segment on shamanism. This class was also ground-breaking in it's use of online collaborative writing tools, which is what propelled me into my sub-specialty of technology in folklore studies. It can be said that this class set both Rachel and I on paths that would shape the rest of our lives.

It was nice to read about how Dr. Mann is combining her academic background with her spiritual beliefs to create a local community of healing, you can check out the CVille weekly article here.

Here's some more resources on shamanism and folklore:


No comments:

Post a Comment