June 29, 2009

FF Communications and Maurice

I was book-hunting in Boston last week and managed to snag a copy of FF Communications: Vol. LXXXVII: Studies in Finnic-Slavic Folklore Relations: Selected Essays by Felix Oinas. This is a find for many reasons - but even better was the inscription on the cover: "To Maurice - with all best wishes - Felix."

Even better, there was a note inside the book:

Dear Maurice:
Many thanks for your fine book. And for the comments on my article.
Felix

I am now scratching my head and doing my best googling to find out who was the previous owner of this book. I have started off with a search on folklorists with the first name of Maurice, of which I know of none off the top of my head. And then I probably should narrow it down to folklorists who worked in the Boston area (even though the book could have travelled a bunch), and were active in folkloristics (maybe with either a slavic or finno-ugric bent) during the late sixties.

Here's my list of suspects:
  • Maurice Saxby - the doyen of Australian children's literature.
  • John Maurice Miller - also published with the switched-up name Maurice John Miller, but during the turn of the last century. Not a likely candidate.
  • Maurice Harris - wrote a book about the Talmud, but also the name of a boxer who goes by Mo Bettah!
  • Maurice Baring - lived in England and died 23 years before this book came out.
I have to admit that I am stumped. If you have any leads, feel free to email me!

No comments:

Post a Comment