June 3, 2009

Online Folklore Community

When googling "folklore blogs," I am delighted when this blog is the number one entry on the first page.  However, the slight amount of traffic this blog receives disheartens me and makes me fear for the future popularity of folklore as a field of study.   Being No. 1 in folklore blogs isn't that impressive when it is outstripped in popularity by Professional Tiddlywinks.

Where my folklorists at?

There is sporadic traffic on the New Directions newsgroup, mostly of the "is there anybody out there" vein.  

First step is to invite others to contribute to this blog - when I created it I envisioned a sort of folklore parallel to the collaborative blog Boing Boing.   I am unable to contribute daily, I would love for others to enrich the site.   

Next step is to send out invitations to create a webring of folklore blogs - a community where folklorists meet to share interesting and useful information with one another.    I will probably send out personal invites to those of you who are out there!   


No comments:

Post a Comment