August 3, 2009

New August Folklore Arrivals


I present to you my monthly list of folklore titles. If only I was blessed with unlimited time, energy and moolah, then I would read them all! This time with reviews freshly cut-and-pasted from Amazon!

I am still confused as to why so many academic books are so damn expensive. Some of these books average in the Fifty to Seventy-Five dollar range, which is kind of ridiculous. I understand the whole concept of them having limited marketability and audience and what not; but my basic understanding of Adam Smith is that decreased demand should decrease the prices.

It may be a generational tic of mine, but I believe that knowledge and information should be cheap and readily available to all. That is why I am a big fan of googlebooks and libraries. A lay reader would be more than willing to buy a more 'academic' book if it was priced in a comparatively normal range. Then they will just be disgusted by the sheer unreadability of it. I shall flesh out these half-arsed thoughts at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment