January 22, 2009

Type-written Rants

One of my favorite folk genres of the past century is the type-written rant. You can usually find them jammed under windshield wipers, randomly inserted into mailboxes or distributed by zany people in outdoor malls, parks and street corners.

Once, in Charlottesville a little over a decade ago, I had a chance encounter with a folk artist of the genre. I had ridden my bike to the library and had taken off my helmet while chaining up the bicycle. I had just shaved my head, and I was pretty shiny! "Hey nice shaved head! You really pull it off!" I turned to look and saw a very attractive blond lady - probably in her late twenties - and wearing a bikini top and cutoff jeans. I thought I had it going on. We started talking, and something did not seem right with her. She then asked me if I knew who King Ludwig was. "Oh yeah, craz King Ludwig! My mom has a picture of his castle." "I was him in a past life." She then takes out a type-written rant, with the names of famous people and hand-drawn arrows demonstrating how they are all related through reincarnation. I graciously excused myself and went into the library to do some library stuff. Turns out that she accosted enough people to be banned from the university grounds and had left a ton of her rants all over town. I should have held on to the sheet of paper though.

Beware of the Blog has an interesting post about another purveyor of the type-written rant:

No comments:

Post a Comment